September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Well, it’s been a fun two weeks in Japan and, while I’d hoped the time away would prove restful, I’m actually more wound up and stressed out now than I was upon my arrival two weeks ago.  My bid to “get away from it all” proved fabulously unsuccessful.  And so I’ll return, vexed, seething, and extremely cantankerous.  Woe to those who choose to get on my bad side.  I’m gearing up for battle!

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Or, if you prefer the classics…

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Let’s do this!

Well, for our last day of fun, Akemi and I hit a bunch of places…

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

And early(ish) morning walk through Tsukiji.  Check out the levels of marbling on that wagyu!

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Soba lunch in Omotesando at a restaurant that was nowhere near as popular as the others in the neighborhood with their snaking lines, but was delicious nevertheless.

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

A little shopping in Ginza.

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

A terrific final dinner at Sushi Taichi, located down a dark, sketchy-looking alley in Ginza.

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Then, hey, just like old times!  A stopover at Star Bar for a drink.

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Yoshida-san recognized me despite my three year absence.

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Then, a short walk to Star Bar’s second Ginza location, Star Bar Ties where our old friend Yamasaki-san was helming the bar.

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

We cap our evening with a late night snack in the form of sake-kasu cheesecake in a cup.  We had six to choose from, eventually going with the one described as: “Sweet and refreshing flavor. And a lot of females like it.” (according to Akemi).  Winner!

September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

Another farewell – this one to Toshiba-san who has been taking great care of us at the hotel for many years.

 Okay, off for lunch at Chikuyotei, one of Akemi’s favorite eel restaurants, then check-out, the 90 minute ride to the airport, the two hour wait to board, the eight and a half hour flight, and, finally, back in Vancouver for 9:35 a.m. (1:35 a.m. Tokyo time) refreshed and ready to start my day!

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular maggiemayday.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

13 thoughts on “September 24, 2016: Sayanora, Japan!

  1. Yes, I wish @Maggiemayday a very swift recovery!

    Well you might be stressed but @Akemi looks happy and relaxed.

    Thanks for taking us along! Have you lost weight this trip too?

  2. Joe, I know exactly how you feel. After my week of vacation, I need another vacation. Monday getting my dad out of the house going to Costco wasn’t too bad. Tuesday and Wednesday was spent with my mom getting a pacemaker. The doctor’s assistant said, “I will text you to keep you updated”. I got a text saying “We are starting”, then a text more than 2 hours later saying “We are done, she did fine.” Only problem was… the procedure was suppose to take 45 minutes. A status update text during those 2 hours would have been appreciated. (Yes they did have issues but got it done.) This resulted in a very stressful, tiring day. Then I discover a small lump on my crazy beagle’s side. It was time for her annual check-up/shots, so I took her in today. The vet pulled some fluid with a needle and said it was a fatty tumor. I am watching it for now. Shots, exam, ear cleaning, ear medication, allergy pills, blood work, nail clipping, heart worm medication later and I probably spent what you spend on one of your fancy meals in Tokyo. Your dog’s health can be extremely stressful so I’m with you on Lulu.

    Glad you made it to the Star Bar (where everybody knows your name… and they’re always glad you came…). Look on the bright side Joe. At least you didn’t get sick on the last day this year. Not yet anyway…

  3. @maggiemayday: hope you feel better soon, wishing you a speedy recovery and yes, you should file a formal complaint!

    @ponytail: wishing your mom a speedy recovery as well & tell your dad to keep on trucking!

    A sake-kasu cheesecake in a cup! Not one but two bars! Now you’re talking! Have a safe trip home! Next vacation go dark, off the grid or go where I vacation where the cell service & wi-fi suck.

  4. Thank you so much for sharing yours and Akemi’s Japanese trip. I really enjoyed it! The food there far surpassed my expectations….
    Have a safe journey home, Joe. I hope things get sorted back home without too much grief. Wishing you luck also with Lulu 🐾

    I’m off to collect my nephew and hit the sights of London town! Yay!

    @maggiemayday – unbelievable! Wishing you a better n speedy recovery 🌹😊

  5. @maggiemayday – Wishing you a speedy recovery… Sorry to hear about the hospital drama but glad you’re ok.

    @Ponytail – Wishing your Mom well… My neighbour just got a pacemaker…..also best wishes for your beagle.

    @Joe – I worry that all of your stress, worry etc will land you in a hospital. I hope you are able to resolve the issue that’s angered you upon your return to Canada. If there’s anything I can do to help…. well you know. 😊

    So glad you made it to Star Bar. I was only wondering that the other day. Glad they remember you. Any new drinks?

    That pistachio cream puff looked amazing and huge….

    Have a safe trip home.

    Cheers, Chev

  6. It has often been my case that I need a vacation to recover from my vacation. To compensate, I come home 2 or 3 days short of the end of the allotted time off from work. That way I can unpack, do laundry, go grocery shopping and then r-e-s-t for a couple of days before returning to the grind. I wish you an uneventful return flight home.

  7. Remember this one <b<Maggiemayday? “Keep on truck’in!” Truly, get well soon.

    When are you going to let us in on why you are cantankerous Joe? By the way, I applaud your use of that particular adjective as it is not often seen or used these days. Is this related to that aggravating email?
    If you need our help or support, know your blog family is here for you.

    Thanks for sharing your latest trip to Japan! All the photos and comments were fun and informative. Akemi and you seemed to have a great time! It’s quite obvious that particular destination is so very near and dear to your heart. Consider retiring there? Many, many years from now…

    Any update on Lulu? I recently saw a vet show where a pup needed a soft palate procedure. It was described as being fairly routine and very helpful for the dog. I hope all goes well for Lulu. I’ll bet both Bubba and Lulu practically bowled you & Akemi over when you arrived home.

    Take good care all,

  8. @maggiemayday Hope you are doing well today.

    @Ponytail That sounds exhausting. Yes, an update would have been helpful. I hope your mom’s recovery period is without issue. When Patrick was put under anesthesia for his dental procedure, the doctor told us it took him 10 minutes when he talked to us. He told us he was in recovery and they’ll likely call us back in about 30 minutes or so. We expected to be called back soon to be able to take him home. But the time continued and continued. I inquired with the desk what the problem was. I would be told that it would still be a little while. It lasted long enough that I told Jeff I had to leave for pet sitting and I would be back. They had already screwed up at admission. They put Medicaid primary and didn’t even list Aetna (which is the true primary). So we were there at 5:30 a.m. and was supposed to be first case and we had to wait until 8:00 when the insurance company opened to get pre-certification for it. So that delayed things quite a bit. But the problem at the other side was that Patrick did not want to wake up. They eventually called Jeff back to help them get him up. This happened once before to him. I don’t know why they kept waiting. Had they called us back sooner, we would have gotten him up a lot quicker. I don’t know why they couldn’t have told us that sooner. By the time I got back to the hospital, I joined them and continued to do things to annoy him so he would wake up. And he did. But I don’t think we got home until 2:00 p.m.

    Next week and at least into Monday of the next week will be full of stressful things. I have a doctor appointment on Monday about my foot (and work); Tuesday just work and Patrick’s ABA trainer comes for 2 hours to work with us in the evening Then Wednesday kicks everything into high gear. Wednesday I’ll have a 2-1/2 hour meeting asking my 70 questions to a potential group home for Patrick. I like this provider so far and what he said in our 1-1/2 hour phone conversation. Then I have to go immediately to clients. Thursday will be emotional as I remember Jon (Patrick’s classmate who died last year). I have an alternative medicine physical therapist to see, then work, then 2-hours with Patrick’s ABA trainer in the evening. On Friday, we have Patrick’s second person-centered planning meeting (which is generally 2 hours) at Patrick’s school and then I have to go to work. I have a busy weekend of pet sitting. Then on Monday, we have to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. for Patrick’s esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) and maybe ERCP. They’ll be taking biopsies. They are trying to figure out about Patrick’s 25-pound weight loss. I went to the pre-registration on Friday and I can’t believe they aren’t going to accept Patrick’s blood work from his ER visit for his seizure on Sep 2. They took his blood Sep 2 at 6:00 p.m. His procedure is Oct 3 at 7:00 a.m. That’s 11 hours too old. They said it had to be within 30 days. I said to them, “Seriously? It is 30 days plus 11 hours. You can’t just accept these labs? They said no. I told them they won’t be able to get blood out of him until he is sedated because I wasn’t going to have them undo the progress he has made with that because they aren’t going to want to spend the time to follow the correct ABA procedure for that. It’s not like I can have the 2 teachers and the school nurse come to the hospital to help us with a blood draw and Jeff and I are still learning what to do when this is needed. Jeff will be with me on Monday. I often wonder how this would work if I didn’t have him and I am so grateful that I do.

    Joe — I hope you and Akemi had an uneventful flight home and got to snuggle with the pups before you crashed from jet lag. I’m glad, too, you made it to the Star Bar. It’s always a wonderful thing when people remember you. I hope the issue that has made you so stressed out will get resolved quickly once you are back. I’m so sorry it put a sour note on what was supposed to be a relaxing visit. Hope you’ll be able to share with us what it was about when you can. We worry about you.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.