After much back and forthing, stressing, and weighing of options, I decided to just pull the trigger and charter a jet for the cross-country flight to Toronto. Expensive, yes, but at least this way, I would only have to do one trip, wouldn’t have to cram the dogs under any seats, and wouldn’t have to worry about major flight delays (and even if there were delays, I’d have the option of actually taking the dogs for a walk rather than keeping them sealed up in their individual little carriers). Instead, of commercial, I’d be kicking back and flying private in a Learjet 35. It has the distinction of being the type of aircraft golfer Payne Stewart perished aboard!
So, the charter company sent me the paper work. I signed the proper documents, scanned, and emailed them back. At which point we came to the “payment” portion of the show. I assumed I could pay by credit card – in spite of the outrageous 5% “administrative fee”. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t take VISA; only American Express. My only other option was to pay by wire transfer. So, late yesterday, armed with their banking info, I headed off to my bank (CIBC), got a bank draft, and went to their bank (TD) to make the transaction. Unfortunately, this proved impossible because, even though they share the same name, the TD bank in the U.S. and the TD bank in Canada aren’t quite the same. I could still wire the money, but it wouldn’t be an instantaneous transaction. I briefly reconsidering the whole thing, but the company rep Isuggested we could move forward with the wire transfer provided I fax them a copy of the completed transaction and use my VISA credit card as a back-up. And so, I headed back to my bank (CIBC), cashed the bank draft back into my account, completed the wire transfer, faxed the company a copy of the paperwork, provided them with whatever other information they required, then redirected my focus to packing. We were scheduled to leave at 12:00 noon. I…
Cancelled my standing reservations with Air Canada.
Informed my friend who was to join me on my planned second trip, next week, that we wouldn’t be going after all.
Called up my dog sitter and informed her that I wouldn’t need her to stay after all.
Contacted the shipping company scheduled to pick up my car on Monday to change the Vancouver contact number from my dog sitter’s phone to Lawren’s phone –
And contacted Lawren to tell him he would be taking possession of the house one week early.
It was a little after 11:00 p.m. when I finally finished packing. I headed downstairs and found a message awaiting me from the company rep informing me that they had yet to receive the wire transfer and without the funds, they would be unable to offer me my scheduled flight. I pointed out that wire transfers usually take a few days to clear but, according to him, they’d had transfers go through almost immediately in the past.
Well, with the banks closed, there was nothing to do but get a good night’s sleep – or stay up all night wondering whether we would, in fact, be flying out tomorrow.
This morning, I went to the bank. I spoke to the manager who informed me that wire transfers are never immediate, they always take a couple of days, and, in this instant, the time lag is compounded by the fact that the transaction was completed late Friday night – which would push things to the next business day = Monday. However, she assured me that she would be happy to speak to a company rep or provide them with any supporting documentation required. I called up the company rep. They talked. And talked. And talked. No dice. The flight was cancelled. Alas, the same can’t be said for the wire transaction which, once initiated, cannot be stopped. So, I –
Rebooked with Air Canada.
Informed my friend who was to join me on my planned second trip, next week, that we WOULD be going after all.
Called up my dog sitter and informed her that I WOULD need her to stay after all.
Contacted the shipping company scheduled to pick up my car on Monday to change the Vancouver contact number from Lawren’s phone back to my dog-sitter’s phone –
And contacted Lawren to tell him he WOULDN’T be taking possession of the house one week early after all.
Flying out tonight on a 10:30 p.m. flight that will get us in to Toronto for 5:55 a.m.
And await my refund.
Boy, that year off in Vancouver is looking real good right about now.