Whew. What an exhausting day spent dealing with an avalanche of issues: dogs, Dark Matter, banking, and bills.
Bubba went in for some follow-up tests: a physical examination, an ultrasound, and some fine needle aspirations of his lymph nodes – as well as another growth on his leg. All this on the heels of a surgery that saw the removal of two masses on his head, one of which was apparently cause for alarm since it crossed over into the malignant category. The concern was two-fold. First is the possibility of a recurrence of the growths. A way to forestall that would be to go ahead and remove a much larger section of the previously affected area – which would, ultimately, include his right ear. We elected not to go for this more aggressive procedure and, instead, yes I’m going to say it – play it by year. The second issue was the possibility that other areas of his body had been compromised. Fortunately, all of the results came back clean, much to my relief (and Akemi’s who ended up wiping away her nervous tears on the back of my shirt). They went ahead and gave Bubba an anti-cancer vaccine which we’ll need to follow up with once we’re back in Toronto.
Speaking of Toronto, it looks like Hog Town will have to wait a week as our scheduled Vancouver departure October 4th will now be the date of Lulu’s surgery. Our girl is suffering from rear leg ataxia and, according to today’s tests, her MRI is abnormal at the T11/12 vertebrae where the area has seen some deterioration that, if left untreated, will eventually result in full paralysis. As a result, and because the procedure is tricky, we’re going to wait until Tuesday for the lab to send back a 3D imaging of the affected area before proceeding with surgery.
Above, a 3D imagining of a section of a pug’s thoracic spine.
All this to say, I’ve had to completely re-juggle our travel schedule. Instead of all of us traveling the morning of October 4th, Lulu will be undergoing surgery on that day. Then, two days later, I will fly solo to Toronto the afternoon of Thursday, October 6th. I’ll hopefully get in some preliminary meetings, spend Thanksgiving with mom and sis, then fly back the early afternoon of Monday, October 10th. The following morning, October 11th, the entire family flies back to Toronto.
And so, the better part of my day was spent talking to specialists and driving to and from appointments with specialists. I also got in some writing – and finished my rewrite of 301. A few patchy spots which I’ll go over tomorrow, but all in all it’s going to be a great opener. You’re gonna love it!
As for the banking and bills all I’ll say is: “Isn’t online banking supposed to make things easier?”.
Of note – today, I tried the ghost pepper chili my sister and Daisy brought over from their garden in Montreal…
So, what was the verdict?
Pretty freakin’ hot! This despite the fact I removed all the seeds and consumed it in quarters accompanied with bread, butter, and avocado. Interestingly enough, I had a much rougher time last night when, while eating a batch of mild-to-medium shishito peppers I noticed a larger, multi-colored variety that found its way into the batch. I popped it into my mouth, not even giving it a second thought, and the second I swallowed it, I started hiccuping uncontrollably. For a good twenty minutes.
Meanwhile, on the fantasy football front, my Snow Monkeys fell to 0-3. Trailing my opponent by 31 points going into the Monday night game, we rallied and came storming back, closing the gap…
Well, almost –
Tomorrow, let’s talk Dark Matter!